This problem can be caused by corrupted Windows registry entries. In order to fix the problem, you might have to use the Windows Registry Editor to delete the corrupted entries. To do this, you must have administrative rights to your computer.
Step 1: Check if the drive shows up in Device Manager:
If the drive is listed in device manager, try to play or access a CD or DVD. If you can play, then, its fine. If not, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Re-install the drivers for the CD/DVD Rom drive and check if it fixes the problem:
1. Click on the Start button and then select Control Panel.
2. Double-click on the System applet.
3. On the Hardware Tab, click on Device Manager. (You might be prompted for your administrator password.)
4. In the Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
5. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm if you want to remove the device.
6. Restart the computer.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed. If this did not resolve the problem, proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Edit the Windows XP Registry:
1. Click on the Start button, and then select Run.
2. In the Run dialogue box, type regedit, and then click OK or hit the <
3. Locate and then click the following registry sub key:
4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
If you see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry, you do not have to remove that entry. Just click on UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. (Go to step 7)
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, this content cannot help you any further.
8. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
9. Click on Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion..
10. Exit the registry editor and restart your computer.
Thanks to Gangadhar DN via CBS Migration-DOP TechVisit and Join with our DOP System Admin Group : Admin