Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Old JNU Campus, New Delhi 110 067
Subject: Clarification on regularization of absence during COVID-19 epidemic lockdown period - regarding.
This Department has been receiving several references/ queries from Central Government employees who proceeded on leave, with station leave permission, but could not report for duty due to non-availability of public transport/ flights and restrictions on inter/intra state movement of persons as per Ministry of Home Affairs' Orders from time to time, to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic in the country. The matter has been considered and the following clarifications relating to regularization of period of absence during the period of lockdown are issued in the matter:-
1. Government Servants who were on official tour and were unable to return to their Headquarters (HQs) due to non-availability of Public Transport.
Deemed to have joined duty on the date of expiry of official tour, if intimation in any form, indicating difficulty in joining duty due to non-availability of public transport/flights, has been given by the Government servant to the office.
2. Government servants who were on leave prior to issue of lockdown orders with effect from 25.03.2020 and the leave ended during lockdown period.
Deemed to have joined duty from the date of expiry of leave, if intimation in any form, indicating difficulty in joining duty due to non-availability of public transport/flights has been given by the Government servant to the office. In case of leave on medical grounds, this 1s subject to production of medical/fitness certificate.
3. Government servants who left HQ on the week-end prior to lockdown, 1.e. 20.03.2020 (Friday), but could not return to HQ on 23.03.2020(Monday) due to non-availability of transport.
Deemed to have joined on 23.03.2020, if intimation, in any form indicating difficulty in joining duty due to nonavailability of public transport/flights has been given by the Government servant to the office.
4. Government servants who were on leave prior to issue of orders on lockdown with effect from 25.03.2020 and the leave expired during the lock down the period, but who wish to curtail the leave before expiry and join duty.
Curtailment of sanctioned leave may not be agreed to, unless allowed by the leave sanctioning authority only in rare cases based on official exigency. From date following the date of expiry of leave during the period of lockdown, the employee may be deemed to have joined duty.
II. All the Ministries/Departments and their attached/subordinate offices are directed to regulate the period of absence strictly as per above clarifications and unnecessary references to DoPT on the subject may be avoided.
Joint Secretary to the Government of India
1. All the Ministries / Departments of Government of India.
2. NIC Cell, DoPT, with a request for uploading on the website of this Department.